UPDATE: Police standoff that locked down N.J. neighborhood for 2 days ends peacefully
Residents in a Bergen County neighborhood were ordered to shelter in place for a second day on Wednesday after police and the county’s SWAT team responded to a report of an armed man barricaded inside a home.
While the man was armed with weapons, he did not have hostages, sources familiar with the situation told NJ Advance Media.
Police were first called to the home in the 400 block of Thomas Avenue about 4:15 p.m. on Tuesday, and officers have been speaking with a person in the home since that time, according to Bergen County Prosecutor Mark Musella.
“No other individuals are believed to be in the home,” Musella said, adding that the Bergen County Regional SWAT Team was on the scene.
Police activity continued early Wednesday on Thomas Avenue between Chase Avenue and Eighth Street, according to the Lyndhurst Police Department.
As of early afternoon, the area remained on lockdown and the situation remained unchanged, Lyndhurst police said in a Facebook post.
“Those residents who had been asked to shelter in place are asked to continue with that safety precaution,” police said in a statement.
Police on Tuesday night alerted residents to “an ongoing, dynamic situation” in the area, but dispelled rumors that gunshots had been fired.
“Currently, officers from multiple agencies are on scene and will be a presence in the area while assisting with our investigation. We continue to urge you to stay in your residence for the time being,” the statement said.
“If appropriate and if possible, we will attempt to make arrangements to safely remove you from the affected streets,” police said.
Lyndhurst police said Wednesday morning that students in the area would be granted permission to be late for school. “The Lyndhurst Board of Education has been made aware of the ongoing situation,” police said.
Residents with questions or concerns about the police activity can call 201-446-2378 for more information.